Friday, May 19, 2006

My Inspiration (A Long Story)

Niko (Veluz’s assistant) informed me yesterday that my first fitting (cacha) will be next Friday, 26th of May. After being delayed a couple of times, finally, I will get a first glimpse and feel of my gown, even though it’s just cacha!

Suddenly I began reminiscing about the time when I first thought of my wedding gown… in High School! 11 years ago, a teacher commented how I reminded her of Grace Kelly. For some reason, according to her, I moved like her and even had some features of her (haha! She must have been semi-blind!). Anyway, I knew who Grace Kelly was, but I didn’t really think much of her. As vanity set in, I began to read about Grace Kelly… Wow, marrying a prince, that is soooo wonderful and romantic, a fairytale coming true. I came across a picture of her in her wedding gown, and I immediately loved her dress. It did remind me of my fashion sense, hehehe, for even when I was a kid, I had been dressed with those sashes and ballskirts. And she is soooo beautiful I had to disagree with my teacher. I would be happy if we had the same cuticles (that is of course an exaggeration).


The Woman.... The Dress...

Anyway, time went on and some years ago, I began thinking about my dream wedding again (though I wasn’t in anyway engaged. You know… just daydreaming and all). Since I had my inspiration for my gown, I had to think of a design for my bridesmaids. I remembered what Princess Grace wore in the movie “The Swan,” so that became my inspiration for my bridesmaids. In one of our formal office functions, I had a dressmaker make a prototype of my bridesmaid gown, and I absolutely loved it. Most of the female guests commented how my dress looked so nice, that I carried it so well. I was really happy wearing that dress.

And then “tragedy” came in (can’t tell you what. It is like uttering Voldemort’s name). I forced myself to forget about wedding stuff. And so the Princess Grace was forgotten.

Now zoom to 2005.

I went to Veluz to initially meet her and discuss the design of the wedding. She asked what I wanted and I told her, nothing in particular (liar!). I also wanted her to design a gown for me based on what she thinks is my style and what would suit me well. She asked if I wanted lace. Ting! I said yes. The end-product… A strapless gown with French alencon lace as waist detail and lovely velvet red or autumn-colored sash.

Prior to meeting her, I browsed through some photos of gowns, and I was able to get one that I wanted. Nope, not the Grace dress, but a Vera Wang number. It was strapless, with some lacy or whatever appliqués on top, and a sash (that’s my trademark so that wasn’t forgotten). After meeting Veluz, I sent her the picture.

The second time I met up with Veluz was when Jane (of Mike) had her measurement taken (July? August?). Veluz showed me this gown she said would also suit me and was thinking of designing a similar one for me… well at least the top portion.

Upon seeing it, flashes of Grace Kelly went back into my mind. The dress that I wanted! How could I have forgotten it so long, the one that I have dreamed of wearing since I was 16! As I was browsing for Grace’s dress again, Mia M. (a chatmate and former w@wie) told me to look at Monique Lhuillier’s gowns since they evoke Grace’s wedding dress. Visualizing a modern Grace dress was even made easier!


Monique Lhuillier's Interpretation


And so Veluz and I discussed our redesign. We would still keep the strapless, but my bodice will be covered with lace. I finally told her my inspiration for my gown… Grace Kelly. I was glad when she said it would suit me. I was still squeamish about the full sleeves, so we opted that mine would have no sleeves (somewhat halter though I am unsure since I have those fatty stuff near my pits).

When I visited her again early this year, Veluz sketched what we had in mind, had my measurement taken, and then this… my first fitting.

I am really really so excited to fit my soon-to-be gown for the first time. Already I am feeling like a Princess. Though I may not have a prince for a husband, like Grace Kelly, I do have my Enrique, and that is enough for me.

1 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger chuching said...

van! gosh, naiinggit ako. parang ang ganda ganda ng magiging gown mo!! when i was preparing for the wedding, i didn't focus too much on my gown, ngayon nagsisisi ako.

goodluck and enjoy the preps! you'll miss it when its over!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home