Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I Survived!

Yesterday, I was down with tummy aches, but figured it was only a matter of time before my stomach comes back to normal. Apparently, I didn't foresee that things would turn out to be much worse...

In the wee hours of the morning, I was awakened by this feeling: as if there was a huge slab of stone above my chest. At the same time, my stomach was really painful. The stomach ache, I could understand, but this heavy feeling on my chest? It took me thirty minutes to decide that I should go to the hospital and let the doctors check me out. I know, thirty minutes was a long time, but I really have this great fear of hospitals. So anyway, my parents brought me to the hospital.

The doctors did an ECG test on me (to rule out heart problems), as well as chest x-ray (to rule out lung problems). Then they gave me two injections for two medicines. I tried to stay calm the whole time, and I succeeded! Whew, I survived.

But then, I was beginning to feel anxious and panicky (I was there for a total of two hours already), and so I told the doctor about this phobia of mine, and he said that i can be transferred to the observation room to rest. Yet even though I was there already, I was still beginning to panic and fear was creaping in already. I just played with my mobile phone. When a doctor checked on me, I calmly asked if I can go already because I'm beginning to feel tense and that i just wanted to go home. And so finally I was cleared. The doctor gave me prescriptions and explained to me what happened: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), which triggered my chest muscles to harden (thus the "burden feeling on my chest). We arrived at the house past 4 am already.

I know this might be a little lame, but all I can say is... "Thank God I survived this whole thing!" I have to tell this to Enrique, I'm sure he will be proud of my developments.

But on the darker side of things, while we were in the car on our way home, I had this sudden feeling that the three of us (my Mom, my Dad, and I) were thinking of the same thought: Enrique is most of the time away from home. What will happen if one night while he's away, something like this occurs? Who will take me to the hospital? This is something I have to talk to Enrique about. I hope we will sort this out...

But in the meantime, I am happy that I have overcome this fear, at least last night.

3 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger chuching said...

hi van! i'm glad you're ok now. my sister in-law went through the same thing and was brought to the hospital as well. take care nalang and wag mo na katakutan ang hospitals! :D

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Mommy Chi said...

glad your ok. im sure you're blessed with a family who will always be there for you even if something like this happens again and Enrique wouldn't be there.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Glo said...

Hey Van, I just got to your blog and just read about your bouts of acid reflux. Same thing happened to me and still happening once in a while, actually but I learn to control it now. When it first happened, I was so scared kala ko talaga I was having a heart attack kasi diba chest pains that goes from the front to your back then di ka makahinga. Anyway, mine was attributed to skipping lunch and too much caffeine intake. I used to take coffee like I drink water. Now I take Nexium when its really bad, most of the times liquid and chewable antacids does the trick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home